11 November 2019 1:10 AM (discourse)
There are some terms that, because of their inherent polarity and vagueness, I don't find particularly worthwhile. I do not regard their use highly and consider them to be strong predictors of bad faith on the part of someone speaking.
- I demand to be treated with the level of respect due to any person. You are tone policing.
- I am reacting to difficult circumstances as anyone would. You are fragile.
- I am expressing legitimate and valid concerns. You are concern trolling.
- I am constructively critiquing what you said. You are a reply guy.
- I, like anyone, have matters of great emotional import to me I expect others to consider. You are a special little snowflake.
- I explain. You $THINGsplain.
- I am upset by a legitimate grievance, but trying to remain charitable and calm. You are sealioning.
If it sounds like I'm contemptuous of frameworks that exist only to rudely dismiss people, it's because I am.